Thursday, April 06, 2006

Stronach's Tasteless Exit

Despite the obvious transparent political calculation, Belinda Stronach bows out of the Liberal race and finds a convenient target:
The auto parts heiress and onetime Tory leadership candidate blamed a flawed leadership selection process for her decision, saying she wants a more open and democratic system...

"I want to be more free and open to express what I think the party needs to do to renew. That's the reason I'm not running," she told a news conference.


I would argue, that the one candidate who would benefit least from a more "democratic" process is Belinda Stronach. But, instead of offering a gracious exit, with the required rhetoric, Stronach deflects from her own shortcomings with negative spin. So far, I have seen three different newspieces debating the openness of the Liberal leadership race. Loyalty has never been one of Stronach's strong suits, but this silly excuse shows her me first agenda.

I welcome Stronach's exit because I think her campaign would essentially be a media distraction from the real debate. And, if anyone doubts the hypocrisy, recall these words from Stronach a few weeks ago:
Until now, party officials said neither Stronach nor her team ever raised concerns about leadership selection.

Indeed, Stronach praised the "more open, accessible and accountable process" in a statement last month, after the Liberal national executive announced the rules for the Dec. 2-3 leadership convention.

"The rules . . . demonstrate the party is vibrant and is ready to take the next steps to renew and rejuvenate itself," she said at the time.

For the Liberal leadership, I think we can safely say this represents addition by subtraction.

No comments: