Thursday, August 11, 2011

Amen

Don Martin weighs in with a common sense analysis of the looming Liberal President race and the signals it will send:
Somebody make her stop. Please.

The LAST thing the Liberals need are controversial figures from its past to become the fresh face of its future. It would send the signal that old war horses are riding to the rescue in a frantic apocalyptic gallop.

That's not to say Ms. Copps lacks the experience and political insight to be a decent Liberal president. It's just that the optics of this 1980s Rat Packer supervising the revival would tourniquet any hope of injecting fresh blood into the party.

Amen

I am starting to look at this Liberal President race as the canary in the coal mine. If Liberals don't recognize the obvious pitfalls of looking for "experience" and past glories, rather than an entirely fresh approach, then I will conclude that we live in this esoteric world that STILL hasn't grasped the realities of the moment, what is required to survive. It really is that simple, either Liberals get beyond self interest and insular thinking, or we plod along relying on outside forces and remote hopes to determine our fate. Everyone, past and present needs to pitch in, but when it comes to taking the lead, the high profile motivators, a generational change is beyond obvious. We have one chance here to get it right, nobody owes Liberals anything, our nostalgic tendencies, I assure, have no relevance beyond our membership. Here's to hoping we get it right at our next convention....

4 comments:

A Eliz. said...

I think the fellow from kingston would be fine..don't know him? I am sure his name will come out, and people will get to know him.

Unknown said...

Well, I'm an old Tory hack .... but I like Sheila. She could inject some life back into the Liberals.

Steve V said...

I like Sheila Copps too, always have.

sharonapple88 said...

I think the fellow from kingston would be fine..don't know him? I am sure his name will come out, and people will get to know him.

Yeah, I think Ron Hartling would do a good job as president. He seems to have to right attitude about the job.