Sunday, August 13, 2006

Breaking: CNN Is Cheesy

It really is interesting to watch the various newscasts from different countries. While networks like CBC and the BBC generally provide substance, the poor Americans are forced to endure FOX(which luckily I don't have) or CNN, which seems to cover war like some obscene sport. I finally reached the breaking point when I saw CNN's "Countdown To Ceasefire" box on the screen, as though a big ball would drop at midnight. The trivial "Breaking News" or "Developing Story" line that has been on the screen for 33 days straight. The maddening Wolf Blitzer(does he sleep?), who always follows up even the slightest criticism of Israel from a guest with, "but what about those katushas". The insanely cheesy narratives of Anderson Cooper, dubbed over the requisite images of war. Thank god for John Roberts(J.D to us Canadians-shhh!!), he seems to be the only credible reporter. I'm just waiting for the headline, "Holy Land Gone Wild". Is this news, or entertainment?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

JD-yeah!he interviewed me for the New Music City TV waaaay back.

i think he is/was a Dan Rather protege .

Absurdly funny in person-at least in 83.

Steve V said...

I remember JD doing the live simulcasts from the El Mocombo, playing guitar, wasted. Better hope the religious right doesn't get the tapes.

Robert said...

I caught a CNN story on the possibility of this being "the end of times." (To be fair, CBC picked up on this too, but from the angle that all major US networks had reported on the story)

I'd say my vote is for CNN being entertainment, but I'd feel that I was doing an injustice to other parts of the entertainment industry.

Steve V said...

Hey Robert

"The end of times" for real journalism maybe :)

Anonymous said...

Yeah, the world is thanking God for John Roberts. Maybe not his Toronto girlfriend of twenty years. I think she'f feeling a little burnt. Posting slams against J.D. all over the place. Oh we reep what we sow

Anonymous said...

Yeah, the world is thanking God for John Roberts. Maybe not his Toronto girlfriend of twenty years. I think she'f feeling a little burnt. Posting slams against J.D. all over the place. Oh we reep what we sow