Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Finally We Agree

There aren't many issues where I side with the Conservatives, but count me as a supporter of this initiative:
Justice Minister Vic Toews is examining ways to expand the use of the dangerous offender designation in the wake of the alleged abduction of two boys by a known pedophile...

Toews said Tuesday that he's consulting with his provincial counterparts about how to make it easier for them to pursue the dangerous offender label. Being designated a dangerous offender allows judges to impose indeterminate sentences on criminals...

Provincial Crown prosecutors are eligible to make an application for the dangerous offender designation once a person is convicted of a serious personal injury offence, such as rape or murder. They must get approval from the provincial Attorney General, and then go through a number of steps including a psychiatric assessment of the individual.

Toews said that another alternative to tweaking the criteria that Crown prosecutors must meet is to amend the federal legislation. He said it would be possible to write in a provision to the Criminal Code that judges trying cases automatically ask the Crown attorney if they wish to seek the dangerous offender designation.

I don't think anyone can seriously argue that the justice system adequately deals with dangerous sex offenders. Pedophiles aren't candidates for rehabilation, all evidence suggests that at best they can learn to suppress their desires. There are too many cases of repeat offenders and their needs seem to override societal concerns. We need an entire set of laws to deal with this criminal subset, whether it be stiffer sentences or permanent confinement in mental institutions. Pedophiles are psychological disturbed people who can't function in our society- they are a danger to people, and that is a permanent condition. Even "reformed" pedophiles who have written books and appear on Larry King admit they are not cured. It just seems like insanity to have ticking time bombs walking around.

When my brother was 10 years old, he was down at our local park playing hockey. The kids noticed a man in a car, smoking cigarettes and watching them. The man stayed for over an hour, until the boys decided to call it quits for the night. My brother had to walk a different way than the rest of the boys and sure enough the car started and began to come in his direction. My brother reacted well and immediately ran in the snowbank with his skates on. He made it to our driveway, just as the car arrived and the man yelled "hey kid come here". My brother ran into the house and told my parents what happened. My dad called the police and we gave a description of the incident. A couple days later the police stopped in to tell my dad they located the man, and he had a history of sexual predation. The officer said that there was nothing the police could do because this man never actually did anything to my brother, despite the intent. I've always wondered who the next victim was, because it was clear that this creep would strike again. Too the Peter Whitmore's of the world, in my view- one strike and you're out!

4 comments:

Mike said...

Yeah, some things are so obvious, even the Conservatives can get it right.

Steve V said...

mike

I chalk it up to law of averages :)

Mark Dowling said...

I wouldn't go as far as to say 1 strike because unfortunately the justice system does get it wrong. However this guy had four different convictions!

One wonders what the seven Supremes will make of it though...

Scotian said...

Still, it feels very uncomfortable hearing Toews say something you just said to your wife a bit earlier, which was my experience last night. I had made the comment to her that convicted pedophiles, especially those considered high risk repeaters should have an automatic parole period of at least 2-3 years regardless of original sentence. Then comes Toews saying he thinks automatic parole should be applied to pedophiles. Sent a shiver right down my spine given how nuts I think most of Toews views are.

I have seen first hand the damage these predators do, I have unfortunately even experienced it in my own youth, although that one took his own life not long after so I know that one didn't keep it up. The current state of affairs where the Criminal Code is concerned on these matters is a travesty and needs serious tightening up IMHO. This is one of the few things the CPC could do that I would wholeheartedly support.