Thursday, February 10, 2011

R.I.P "Penlan"


If you hang around on progressive blog comment sections, if you are on twitter, you'll be familar with the name "penlan". A lot of us have wondered where she has been the last few days, and today I was told by her friend, that she has passed away.

You know, it's just blogs, comments, twitter, most of these people I don't know personally, but I am welling up as I write this, so that speaks to something.

Penlan was a passionate, engaged person, who loved her country and spoke out about issues that mattered to her. Penlan was friendly to me, and others, she was feisty and stubborn, she was an honest voice, she was a compassionate asset. I will genuinely miss her tweets and comments, her presence online.

A very sad day....

13 comments:

Chrystal Ocean said...

Penny was my friend, albeit a long-distance one. So so sad. Tears welling.

Jim Parrett said...

I did not know Penlan long but she helped me immensely. I too became worried when she was no longer a presence on Twitter. I would have loved to know her longer.

Karen said...

Lovely post Steve.

The Mound of Sound said...

That's very sad. A lovely person.

Dame said...

Oh no.. I am so sad one very clear and positive mind ...I knew her only trough her words but ALWAYS loved what she said..

Unknown said...

Well put. Thank you for this.

The Pundits' Guide said...

I'm glad you took a second to let us know, Steve. Thank you, and sorry for your loss.

sassy said...

Comforting thoughts going out to her family, friends and, online friends.

Penlan leaves a lovely footprint in the sands of time.

WILLY said...

Truly a sad day.
Penlan touched many of us regularly.
My deepest regrets to her family and loved ones.

Neil said...

One of the pleasures I derived from blogging has been making online friends such as Penlan. I had always that I would meet her at a ProgBlog beer up. That is not to be. A very sad day.

All the best to her family.

Unknown said...

This is such a beautiful tribute. Thank you soooo much. She was my sister and I miss her terribly. My daughter and her had a special bond. I still cannot believe she is gone.
Your kind words have me crying again...touched my heart deeply.
Thank you
Jill Lankshear

Steve V said...

I'm very sorry for your loss Jill. I hope it gives you some comfort to know how many people enjoyed and liked your sister. It isn't real world, but you still get a sense of people and Penny was a very kind soul, we engaged quite a bit on twitter and the blogs. Take care of yourself and we will remember Penny :)

Maidenearth said...

Penny was one of those rare individuals who took the time to really know people. She was a no bulls**t kind of person who told it like it is. If she liked you, she loved you, in the real sense that you knew she was there for you. I'm going to miss her smile, and her sense of humor. She was a rare friend.

(That photo of Penny was taken in my art room, on my webcam circa 2003.)

Stacey