The federal Liberal party's national director is accusing the party of besmirching his reputation, and is demanding more than a year's pay to step down following his controversial comments last week about the hiring of francophone Quebecers, CBC News has learned.
In a confidential letter addressed to senior party executives, Jamie Carroll says his name has been publicly and unjustifiably damaged by high-ranking Liberals.
Carroll says he's talked to lawyers who have told him he would be eligible for considerable damages should he pursue the matter in court. In the letter, he says he wants 12 to 18 months pay as compensation.
Members of the party's management committee are reported to be meeting Tuesday night to discuss the letter and decide Carroll's fate
The leader says Carroll will stay, the management committee decided to discuss his fate. Anyone else see a disconnect here? The optics suggest Dion isn't in control, or people just choose to ignore his musings.
Although CTV calls Bellerose a Liberal MP, which he isn't, the fact that a candidate has backed away from the Liberal Party in such a vocal way is telling:
Pierre-Luc Bellerose, who announced he won't run as the party's candidate in Joliette and called on Dion to step down as leader immediately.
Bellerose told the French all-news channel, RDI, that Dion shouldn't wait to be sent "to the slaughterhouse" in an election.
"At some point, you can't be too self-absorbed. You have to think of the whole party and I think that Mr. Dion better leave," he said, adding that Ignatieff would "change people's perceptions of our party" in Quebec.
Bellerose is the third prospective candidate in Quebec to announce he won't run for the Liberals in the next election. Former astronaut Marc Garneau has also said he won't run again.
Dion set to hand out some discipline?:
There was also speculation today that fellow Montrealer Pablo Rodriguez, who openly called for Carroll's head, might be stripped of all responsibilities in Dion's new shadow cabinet.
What a mess.