As we draw near to the vote, there are a lot of questions as to what a Conservative majority would mean for the country. No one can predict the future, but a brief look at the recent past gives some indication, and none of it flattering. Lets pretend Harper came to power five years ago. What would the country look like? Some rampant speculation:
1) parliamentary committees would still be grappling with our misguided involvement in the Iraq war. The images of dead Canadian soldiers would haunt the national collective. Law enforcement agencies would work under the cloud of mass paranoia. The continued cost of protracted war would put a strain on our monetary policies.
2) Canada would be criticized by the world community for failing to show international leadership with regard to the Kyoto Accord. The government would propose "different" methods to curb emissions, but our attitude would be similar to the Americans.
3) First Ministers meeting would have given the provinces increased powers over previous federal jurisdiction. An elected Senate would slow effective policies as another layer of government, with differing agendas begins to share concrete power. Aboriginal leaders would see a society that further marginalizes their predicament.
4) With the tax cuts, new corporate loopholes and the increased expenditures for the Conservative promises, the country records a deficit which threatens the confidence in the financial community. Interest rates float toward dangerous terrority and the economic future is uncertain.
5) The gap between rich and poor widens as the social safety net is undermined. The "welfare state" is threatened and big business is rewarded. The rights of the gay community are rejected and the notion of tolerance is weakened.
6) More money is allocated for "superjails", as the entire legal system moves toward the American model of punishment first, reintregation second. The Canadian example, which is admired around the world is undermined.
7) The opposition Liberals currently hold a 23 point lead in the polls leading up to the next election :)
Did I miss anything?