Friday, April 22, 2011

I'm Gonna Break My Rusty Cage And Run

A bit of a break from politics. Pretty excited that tomorrow morning tickets go on sale for Soundgarden, their first tour in 14 years. There were a lot of bands to come out of the early 1990's "scene", but for my money the most innovative, musically influential band was Soundgarden. Kim Thayil developed some insanely unique guitar tuning, Matt Cameron is a ridiculous drummer and Chris Cornell may just have had the best rock voice in a generation. I last saw them in Toronto, opening for Neil Young, along with Pearl Jam. Their sound was dreadful, major disappointment. I suppose the highlight was a drunk Eddie Vedder, wine bottle in tow singing "Keep On Rocking In The Free World" with Neil Young. Anyways, I am really, really looking forward to this one:




As as aside, the first time I saw the video for "Jesus Christ Pose" I remember being slightly afraid, but keenly fascinated- WTF were these guys, the sound resembled nothing anyone had heard, even radio didn't know how to catergorize. What a band.

8 comments:

Omar said...

I wonder if Cornell still straps on the Mustang? A hugely underutilized Fender, imho. Enjoy the show :)

Steve V said...

I'm really curious what any new album sounds like as well.

I'll look for that. You play? I'm a Les Paul fella myself.

Omar said...

I have dabbled for many a moon, but for the years I've put in I should be a helluva lot more proficient then I am. To someone who doesn't play, I'm Jimmy freakin Page. To an actual player I'm a putz. My claim to fame is being able to bang out all the rhythm parts of Get Yer Ya Ya's Out and Never Mind the Bollocks. I once owned a 71 Butterscotch Telecaster that I don't miss and way back I had a Silver Series Ibanez that I do miss. I currently have an Epiphone Gibson that I got off eBay for $100. What I'd really love to know how to play is the piano ;-)

Steve V said...

Nice. I only play sporadically now. It's a leftie custom and I have a Fender tube amp. I also play acoustic, but again, not as much these days.

bigcitylib said...

If that was at the CNE, then we were at the same show. Blues Traveller opened for everyone, and before it all me and my buds found a six pack abandoned under a pine tree at the back by somebody. Neil did Motorcycle Mama, among others, and Eddy sang background for everyone.

Steve V said...

Ha! That was our beer ;). That was when all of grunge rock adopted Neil and he was cooler than shit again. Good times.

Gene Rayburn said...

Wow I was at that show too. I was the guy pretending to be captain Kirk with my wallet for the guys on acid. Sorry if I freaked anyone out but I had a lot of fun

Steve V said...

To funny!