Tuesday, June 24, 2008

A Point Of Clarification

Some partisans are cautioning other partisans, not to read too much into a poll, which demonstrates an openness to the Liberals "the color you get when you mix blue and yellow" Shift (is that okay?). Just as a point of clarification, speaking for myself, I hardly view one finding, on a vague question, as "victory". More correctly, it just serves as another useful piece of information to suggest the Liberals might be well positioned moving forward.

How this whole debate shakes out remains to be seen, whether the plan is an albatross or a savior, completely debatable, reasonable people have differing views. My own mental math supports the concept, policy wise and from a political perspective. The first test, and a daunting one, if you consider the pre-emptive strikes by the Conservatives and others to define, was for the Liberals to release their plan and simply keep their head above water. I don't think it much of a stretch to say the initial launch was largely successful, easily Dion's best moment to date as leader. Pleasantly surprised is how I would characterize the opening, a fair response from the media, some helpful allies, a positive tone, a sense of coherent strategy, contrasted with a seemingly unglued Harper and friends. I like what I've seen.

My primary reaction to the latest poll is just another positive sign, a complete rebuke of the Conservatives claims of "crazy" and "screwed". That doesn't translate to any sense whatsoever that the Liberals are well on their way to forming government, or even any claim that the plan will be understood and appreciated. What I think you can say, based on a sense of the initial launch, it has been anything but a bad week for Liberal fortunes. All you can hope for is opportunity, and I don't think it entirely biased to argue that this plan presents just that. Opportunities are what you make of it, and in this case, also how your opponents react, who's more effective.

The way I look at it, Liberals have finally launched, successfully discarded the booster rockets and now try to successfully navigate the proper path to see if we reach target.

10 comments:

Karen said...

What I find most interesting about the launch, is that regular people (not you and me, ;)
are aware of it.

My partner was playing golf last weekend and someone asked something about me and he mentioned my blogging. When he mentioned I was a Liberal, they immediately asked what I thought of the Green Shift.

These are not political guys. When my partner said that I liked the plan, all of them said they thought it was an interesting and good move.

They hadn't read the plan but were going by the coverage they had seen.

I'd say that if people who are not preoccupied with politics are speaking about the plan, the launch went pretty well.

Steve V said...

"I'd say that if people who are not preoccupied with politics are speaking about the plan, the launch went pretty well."

I think the Tories have helped reach the "regular" people. They hear all this hubbub and wonder what it's all about. I can't remember where I read it, but someone made a good point, that Harper may want to rethink going so hard on this issue, because it isn't necessarily ground he's best suited to fight on.

Karen said...

A few columnists have made that point Steve, but I'm not sure how Harper could back down now.

He could try to fight it with facts, oops, no he couldn't. As I type I've no doubt he's got someone creating a graphic of precisely how the Green Shift will bankrupt the country, but he's tried that before and I'm not sure who would put their name to such a paper.

I think if he continues to be angry and irrational, your right, it helps the Lib's.

And I thought it was going to be a dull summer,:).

Steve V said...

"As I type I've no doubt he's got someone creating a graphic of precisely how the Green Shift will bankrupt the country,"

Let's hope the Liberals are already developing the counter.

"And I thought it was going to be a dull summer,:)."

And I thought Dion would have trouble getting traction :)

ottlib said...

Stephen Harper's over the top reaction to the Green Plan actually kept the announcement and The Plan on the front burner for a couple of days. In most cases announcements by the Leader of the Opposition disappears after one news cycle.

Stephen Harper forgot one of the rules of being PM. Do not validate your opponents ideas by giving them your attention.

Then again Stephen Harper has not really made the transition from Opposition Leader to Prime Minister anyhow, so it was a natural mistake.

Steve V said...

"Do not validate your opponents ideas by giving them your attention"

It seemed more like an obsession, he actually created exceptional buzz before the announcement.

ottlib said...

That is true but mostly that was done by an Oil Splat and his designated attack dogs. Routine stuff in politics.

However, when he first said the plan was "crazy" and the NEXT DAY said the plan would "screw everybody" he broke one of the big rules of being a PM.

He gave the announcement more publicity than it would otherwise have received by doing so. If Mr. Baird or any other spokesman would have commented the announcement would have faded before the weekend.

Perversely, his statements were enough to make people sit up and pay closer attention to the announcement and The Plan than it would likely have received otherwise.

As well, it gave Mr. Dion his opening to challenge Mr. Harper to a debate, which is tactically sound in the short run, provided Mr. Dion does not overplay it and continue making that challenge.

Steve V said...

"As well, it gave Mr. Dion his opening to challenge Mr. Harper to a debate, which is tactically sound in the short run"

Short run for sure. I do like that they are waiting a few days for the letter, shows a coherent strategy.

Karen said...

Short run for sure. I do like that they are waiting a few days for the letter, shows a coherent strategy.

Let's not let it happen tomorrow for instance at around 11:00.

If it's been sent however, I would expect a Con release/response at about the same time.

Gayle said...

Well that cabinet shuffle thing might take some attention away from all the Green Shift name debates going on.

If so, I guess Dion owes Harper!